1.Intro Feat. King Dice O
2. Art Of Life Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
3. Roll The Dice (The Come Up) Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
4. My Soul Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
5. Dark Knights Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon, Swey Cannon
6. Move Forward Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
7. My Story (Prod TW$) Feat. Dice Cannon Ft. Frass As Hell, King Dice O
8. Drive (Prod TW$) Feat. Jason Black Ft. Dice Cannon, King Dice O
9. Story of Sam Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
10. Realest Shit Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
11.Something To Tell. Feat Dice Cannon Ft. King Dice O
12. Lounge Music (Prod Juice Cannon) King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
13. Sex Music King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
14. Swagg vs Class Feat. Dice Cannon Ft King Dice O
15. Retrospect Feat. King Dice O
16. Suicide Feat. Jason Black Ft. Dice Cannon, King Dice O
17. Structures Of Struggle Feat. Jason Black Ft. Dice Cannon, King Dice O
18. Poetry In Motion (Outro) Feat. King Dice O Ft. Dice Cannon
It’s good to have KING DICE O and his long-time collaborator DICE CANNON back here on NEW LEASE MUSIC. These guys were featured with tracks Drive (produced by TW$) and the loved up Something to Tell and the announcement of the long-awaited mixtape The Life Vol.1 back in August.
Now it’s finally here and I have the pleasure of reviewing this mixtape –these guys are not afraid to mix (at times) atmospheric, spaced out hip hop with a little old time soul, acid jazz and reggae– and they definitely not afraid of delivering their innovative raps with straight up, truth-need-to-be-told lyrics.
Tracks The Art of Life, My Soul, Move Forward and My Story feature that spaced out hip hop where these rappers deliver first class spoken word freestyling of obstacles that life presents. The Life Vol. 1 is just like a chocolate sundae – as you dig deeper it gets sweeter. Still featuring the hard-hitting lyrics, track Story of Sam, nicely switches the tone of the mixtape with its easy gliding grooves. The lyrics lighten up in the SLUM VILLAGE-esque Lounge Music and old school funk/spaced with reggae infused Swagg vs. Class.
The Life Vol.1 ends on a high with Struggle of Structure. Sampled from INCOGNITO’s track Deep Waters, these guys raps just oozes into the acid jazz infused production – this one is a must listen
Now I’m not just saying this for the sake of it, but this mixtape definitely deserves the hype, as these guys definitely worked hard to perfect their on-point fusion of hip hop, acid jazz, and soul with a touch of reggae. The fact the they mix hip hop with all these genres is at least a little intriguing – so quench your curiosity and head right here to check out the mixtape.